Saturday, February 5, 2005

The Best Quote I've Heard in a Long Time

If one person is unkind to an animal, it is considered to be cruelty, but
where a lot of people are unkind to animals, especially in the name of commerce,
the cruelty is condoned and, once sums of money are at stake, will be
defended to the last, by otherwise intelligent people".
- Ruth Harrison




That is an awesome quote - I'm going to write more about it later but I just had to put it here so that I don't forget it. It's an almost perfect sentence. It's so true. If you hurt one animal it's considered animal cruelty - but if you commit unspeakable acts of cruelty to large herds of animals and call them livestock and make money from it then you're protected by the full extent of the law and allowed to treat those animals who are as alive as you and me and have the same capacity to feel pain, deprivation and terror - as horribly as you want - just as long as it saves you 2 cents on the dollar. Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Joan - another animal lover here and I agree with you totally. any unkindness to animals upsets me terribly.

    I found you by looking for Halifax blogs to learn something about the place my ancestors were from. They left there in 1855 and were called McColough.

    best wishes to you and the doglets from Australia

    ReplyDelete