Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Vet and the Woods

I woke up today with the worst headache. So I went back to bed, but then eventually the dogs made me get up again because they need to go to the washroom sometime. And when Buttercup came back inside she was obviously in some kind of distress. I looked at her and said "what's wrong" - like we do with all our pets, expecting them to tell us - and she actually did present her left back leg to me and it was shaking and she was looking at me sideways and she was crying and Teddy ran over and sniffed her and Charlie and Daisy came over and everyone was all screwed up because Buttercup NEVER appears to be in any kind of lowered resistance - she is the BOSS of our crew and everyone knows it.

So I immediately got in a lather and was feeling her all over - did she have something impacted in her bum? I picked at her bum. I couldn't feel anything. Was it her leg? She didn't squeal when I felt her leg - but it was shaking and she was holding it up. I didn't know what to do - so I called the vet. They didn't have an opening until 4pm - and it was only 11:15am. a FIVE hour wait. So I said to the lady - I'll just take her to the Emergency clinic - and she said - "they don't open until we close tonight" - and I was like - "Oh my God - what am I going to do!"

So Buttercup and I had to wait until 4 o'clock. So I laid down and let my head throb and she laid next to me and her leg got better as the day progressed and we went to the vet at 4pm. The vet poked and prodded her all over so that the $50 fee for walking in the door was made more worthwhile and she could pronounce that maybe Buttercup had pulled a muscle this morning while she was outside.

I've just never seen Buttercup in pain before and it really freaked me out. I don't know what I'm going to do when she actually does get sick. Because we're all going to get sick and die.

By tonight though Buttercup seemed much better so we went for a nice walk in the woods and everyone had a very good time. Daisy especially loves running at top speed through the woods - I have no idea why she hasn't lost any eye yet. Maybe it's just a matter of time. Shit. I think having a headache makes me a real downer to be around - haha!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:58 PM

    Poor Buttercup! Pats to her for telling you what was wrong.

    Duncan is also a woods runner / bush crasher-througher (or was in his other home) and always amazed me that he never poked HIS eye out either!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete