Monday, March 7, 2005

Further on the Meat Eating and Wearing Fur and What It's Got to Do with Humans

I said in that post that I think that life is cheap - it must be or else we wouldn't treat each other so badly. Last week I read a really good article from the "Best Friends" website called "Treating People Like Animals" where the guy talked about how people were probably so outraged about the way that the Iraqi prisoners were tortured by the Americans because they were basically treated like animals. And they were. And we as humans found that shocking. No human should have to be treated that way. And the guy writing the article was questioning whether or not animals should be treated that way either.

As an aside to that when I went to find that article tonight tonight I googled the phrase "treating animals like humans" and it came up with 200 results with some really interesting websites. You should check out some of the links. I had thought the only link I'd come up with would be that article, but obviously treating humans like animals is quite a popular idea. And I'm not talking sexually.

So we treat other humans really horribly - it makes sense that we treat animals even worse - especially when the majority of people don't think of animals as being sentient beings who feel, hurt, or are even really alive. There is so much suffering in the world it's really unbelievable. And I think a lot of the things that we're trying to do is just kidding ourselves. But that doesn't mean we have to stop doing what we're doing. It just means we have to be a bit more truthful and realistic. Like that "Silk brand" Soy milk is owned by a huge Dairy company, or that lots of healthy stuff is owned by "evil" conglomerates. Monsanto will continue to genetically engineer their seeds and poor farmers in India are going to starve. The world's going to hell in a hand basket so I'm definitely not going to quit smoking until the government legislates me not to. That's for sure. It's a better insurance policy than RRSP's at this point I'd say. You should think about it for yourself.

And on that note I was sent a link for a neat new online Canadian website called "New View". It's your guide to a happy and healthy lifestyle. They offer information and inspiration for a happier, healthier life. The link is http://www.nuvunow.ca/

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:35 PM

    I agree with a lot of what you say though the pessimism about humans I would prefer not to believe. Though many people died in the Tsunami many also helped to save people and animals even though they risked their lives.
    But question is "How do we know that organic meat is humanely killed?" Humans are not that trustworthy. I don't know where it comes from nor did I see how it was killed. Though this would probably make me never want to eat meat again. Unfotunately I have a lot of allergies to meat replacing products. ie. soy and algae

    ReplyDelete