Thursday, January 12, 2006

Today my blog is now complete!

For weeks I've been searching around the internet - trying to find some way to put categories into the side bar of my blog. 95% of you just went - "what in h-e-double hockey sticks did she just say, and why should I care?

Well, my blog is up to over 200 posts now - and wouldn't it be nice if you could go and look at all of the posts I've made about Daisy? Or if you are my Father - all the posts I've made about what I haven't done to my house?

It turns out that "Blogger" - the software I've been using to write this blog - doesn't support categories, so I thought I was shit out of luck. But I was also sure that there must be someone out there who was very smart who had written code to get around it. And today I found that person! So now I am super happy that I finally have categories in my blog.

I had even been thinking about moving my blog away from Blogger - which I absolutely didn't want to do - Blogger is a Google product, and I LOVE Google. I was one of the first people in the WORLD to have a Gmail address. If they opened up an office in Halifax I'd camp out on their doorstep until they hired me. So I did NOT want to leave Blogger.

So feel free to check out the categories to the left - at the bottom. I got them from http://netcf2.blogspot.com/2005/11/blogging-categories-categories.html - I love smart people! I got the link from a Yahoo group I joined called "Yahoo blogger user support" at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blogger_user_support/ which is proving to be very helpful. Very geeky, but very useful.

.NET Compact Framework Tutorials: Blogging_: enable categories in your blog

Addendum January 23rd, 2006 - I've dropped the original category type I was going to go with and went with Pico search categories instead - I found that using Blogger search wasn't coming up with any search results prior to June 2005 - which wasn't any good at all. Pico search has indexed my whole blog - which has tons of posts prior to June 2005. I'm liking it a LOT better.

Category: [Geeky Stuff]

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you found the information useful and I see you have put it into effect well on your page.

    ReplyDelete