Monday, July 24, 2006

Unconditional Love


Have you ever thought of why certain animals (and I suppose "people" too) come into your life? I've become convinced that Teddy has come into my life to teach me about unconditional love.


I take the idea of the birth to death committment to dogs very seriously - just because a dog has a problem or comes with issues, that's not his fault - and it's not going to make me give up on him, or toss him out, or pass him off to another person. When a dog comes into my house he becomes a member of my family until the day he dies. And I believe that in part has to do with unconditional love. That unconditional love can solve everything - and because of that it gives you the time to work out any problems you may have.

I believe my marriage broke up because for a moment I forgot that I took an oath to love my husband unconditionally and I put conditions on my love - and because of that, I am going to be by myself (with my dogs) for the rest of my life. So learning how to love unconditionally is a big thing for me I guess. And Teddy is helping me - because he is a hard dog to love!

I hate to admit it, but I do have moments when I'm picking up his second shit of the day and he's out in the kitchen growling at Daisy to stay away from his cookie and I look at him and think to myself "I wish you were dead" - and that's a cue to me that I have got a lot to work on about unconditional love. Hopefully we have a lot of time to work on it. Because Teddy deserves unconditional love. I think everyone does. One of the biggest regrets of my life is the fact that I for one moment stopped loving my husband unconditionally, because he deserved it too. And I always vowed that I'd never make that mistake with any other thing that came into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment